Website Privacy Statement
ScopeThis statement applies to your interactions with the Australian Institute of Family Studies (AIFS) website and subsidiary sites which are managed by us.
The Australian Institute of Family Studies is bound by the Information Privacy Principles of the Privacy Act 1988.
Our website follows the Privacy Commissioner's Guidelines for Federal and ACT Government Websites. These guidelines outline the requirements for transparent collection, appropriate and ethical use and secure storage of personal information.
Our aim is to provide an online environment which will ensure the information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner.
When you visit the AIFS website a record of the following information is recorded for statistical purposes only and is used to help improve our website. The following information is supplied by your browser (for example, Internet Explorer):
- the user's server address;
- the user's operating system (for example Windows, Mac OS etc);
- the user's top level domain name (for example, .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc);
- the date and time of the visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser used.
This information is used for statistical purposes only. No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities, and these records will not be used other than for statistical purposes, except as required by law.
Collection of personal information
When you interact with us we sometimes receive personal information about you.
For example, if you write to us, post a comment on our site or sign up to a newsletter, you might tell us who you are, how we can contact you or what you think of our publications.
What we record and how we use your information
We will use your personal information for a number of purposes such as:
- to provide you with services (for example, to send you a newsletter or a news alert, if you have asked for them); or,
- to contact you (for example, we might email you in response to a comment posted on our site).
When you email us, join a mailing list or post a comment to one of our discussion areas:
- we will record your email address;
- we will only use your email address for the purpose for which you provided it;
- we will not use your email address for any other purpose;
- we will not disclose it without your consent; and
- it will not be added to a mailing list, unless provided by you specifically for that purpose.
Read our User guidelines for online discussion.
We may use electronic forms to gather personal information for purposes directly related to a function or activity of the Australian Institute of Family Studies. This information will be used only as specified in the request documentation.
In addition to web server logs, the AIFS website also uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. Reports obtained from Google Analytics are used to help improve the AIFS website.
Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of our website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Links to other websites