Our security responsibilities
We will ensure that:
- Your data will be stored at a secure facility. Regular backups of data are performed to ensure it can be recovered in case of a disaster.
- All access to the system is logged. If any unauthorised behaviour should occur, this will assist us in identifying and resolving the issue.
The Institute's ICT security practices and procedures are guided by whole-of-government standards and guidelines including the Australian Government Information Security Manual (ISM) and the Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF).
Please note: This website does not provide facilities for the secure transmission of all information across the Internet. Users should be aware that there are inherent risks in transmitting information across the Internet. If we use electronic forms to collect information, we will offer you alternative means of providing it, such as a mailing address or telephone contact number.
Increasing your safety online
Protecting your computer
- Install and activate security software on your computer. Ensure your security software includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall and anti-spam filter.
- Run regular scans of your computer for viruses.
- Remember to update your security software to ensure you are always running the current version.
Other steps you should take help protect your computer include:
- Check your Internet browser's security settings for ways to make your browsing more secure.
- Do not open email attachments if you do not know the sender.
- Only download files from reputable Internet sites.
- Be wary when exchanging files with colleagues or friends.
- Never click on hyperlinks in emails received from unknown sources.
Protecting your password
- Never share your password with anyone
- Never send your password via email
- Make your password as strong as possible
- Use different passwords for different services / accounts
You should report any suspicious or unauthorised activity relating to your use of the Australian Institute of Family Studies website by contacting us. This will help us make the Australian Institute of Family Studies website as secure as we can.